Sunday, April 10, 2022

Waiting for growth

 Some years we’re planting tomatoes right now, but we got a cool snap this weekend with lows in the 30s and 40s. It didn’t get much above 60 yesterday! I don’t mind it, since my late-planted cool-season veggies need it to get established.

Peas two weeks after planting

I planted everything about 2 weeks ago. The peas are off to a quick start and look quite happy. The carrots look like maybe 3 have germinated, but the seedlings are so tiny, it’s hard to tell if they’re carrots or just weeds. There are a could of odd impressions in the soil, perhaps the shape of a cat butt, right in my carrot row. I hope they don’t ruin the seeds I planted there. Carrots take forever to germinate (the seed packet says up to 25 days), so I’ll find out in another week or so whether my seeds are going to make it.

Out of the 21 chunks of potato I planted, 6 have sprouted so far. I hope to see the rest emerge this week. Before I plant my potatoes I always cut the chunks up and leave them sitting out a day or so. It’s supposed to reduce rotting by letting the cut sides form a callous before planting. Well, this time I didn’t get around to planting them right away, and they were sitting out around a week waiting to be planted. It's not ideal, but I think most of them should still make it.

Potato sprout

My asparagus started coming up a week ago! I cut enough for maybe one serving and gave it to my mother for her enjoyment while I was visiting. It's so cute when it starts emerging, I always aspire to take beautiful pictures of asparagus coming out of the dirt, but I can't ever seem to get a picture of it in focus. That's a photography skill I can work on. Last year it seemed like the asparagus only came up one or two two stalks at a time, never enough to eat. Hopefully I'll get plenty of asparagus this year--and plenty of practice photographing it. 

Some books say you should actually wait until April 20 to plant heat-loving veggies like tomatoes and peppers in our area. The forecast right now shows another cool snap possibly coming through April 17, so I'll probably follow that advice this year. Besides, I'm happy to have a little extra spring to enjoy my garden before we jump into summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment