Friday, May 9, 2014

April Showers Bring May Flowers!

I can't believe it's been over a month since I've blogged...April just flew by. In addition to the usual spring garden projects, I just started an herb business called Itty-Bitty Herb Farm. This was my first week selling herbs at the farmers market, so I feel like I can finally take a breath after the whirlwind of preparations.

When I stepped out into my garden this morning, I was delighted to discover several of my plants came into bloom this past week. You know what they say: April showers bring May flowers. One of my favorite things about gardening is how my garden is constantly changing, and in the springtime there's always something new to enjoy. A flower coming into bloom is like receiving an unexpected gift. I thought I'd share what's blooming in my garden right now. 

Some friends dug these irises out of their yard
for me a couple of years ago, and they've
settled in quite nicely. I think it's Iris virginica
(blue flag iris).

Pink 'Flower Carpet' rose

Foxgloves (Digitalis purpurea) are biennial,
so I wasn't sure if they would come this year.
Looks like they had some babies last year who
bloomed this year. 

My 'Munstead' lavender isn't quite in full bloom, but I
think the delicate buds are lovely.

My 'Red Drift' rose just exploded in blooms! I've had it since
I lived in an apartment, and it's clearly settled into its new
home since I planted it in my landscape last year.
I inherited this mystery rose when we bought our house,
and this is the best it's looked since we moved in.

I had an itch for some white flowers, so I planted this little
container with some white petunias and white fan flower
(Scaevola aemula).
If you have any questions about these plants, feel free to leave a comment below! I'm happy to answer any questions you have.


No comments:

Post a Comment