Monday, December 3, 2012

Fall planting

Most people get planting fever in springtime or late winter, when the first warm days arrive after the long months of cold. In Middle Georgia, though, where spring is short and summer is long, many plants are happier being planted in the fall. By planting in fall, the plants have many months to grow strong and healthy before the grueling summer hits. Even in December, a heavy frost is still unlikely for a while. (For example, the highs have been in the 70s this week!)

Unfortunately, plants are harder to find in the fall. I went hunting at my local garden centers, and the particular perennials I was looking for simply were not available. You can usually get some good deals on shrubs that need a little TLC, though. Last fall I purchased a camellia & a rose at half-price. This year I got a similar deal on a 'Twist-n-Shout' hydrangea. Unlike most hydrangeas which only bloom for a couple of weeks out of the year, this variety is supposed to bloom all summer. Mine still had a bloom on it when I planted it in October.


Endless Summer® Twist-n-Shout® Bigleaf Hydrangea
Even though I didn't buy much, I still had plenty to plant! The same friends that gave me cuttings from their yard also dug up/divided many of their self-propagating plants, including irises, bugleweed (Ajuga reptans 'Bronze Beauty'), hostas, elephant ear, and ferns. I planted in October and early November, and they all put out new growth before the cold slowed them down (as you can see in the pictures below). I also divided some lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) which was a gift from a previous year.  I can't wait for them all to take off when the warm weather returns in full force in the spring! (Maybe then I can figure out exactly what species/varieties I have.)




Happy gardening!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, more hydrangeas!

    Kelly's mom will be pleased to watch her cuttings propagate.

    Lemon balm--do you have a memory of that from the Shaker Village in KY?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I still remember when the lady with the herb business at the Shaker Village let me talk with her while she was working (I think I was 14 years old), and then gave me a lemon balm plant because I had always wanted one (it's Latin name, Melissa, is my name after all!). But I don't think lemon balm liked the South Florida climate--it didn't live long. My lemon balm is much happier in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete