Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Introduction





In June, my husband and I bought our first house, on a street that's simply named Boulevard. It's an 83-year-old Tudor Revival home that sits on a third of an acre with a nice little brick patio on the side. We chose it for its historic charm, quiet neighborhood with friends nearby, and plenty of room to garden.

I've loved gardening since I was little. My grandfather was a Master Gardener, and he gave me a vegetable garden kit as a Christmas present when I was 7 or 8. My mom tells me she actually did most of the tending to it, but in my memory, it was my garden. From there, I grew plants on my windowsill.  As a teenager I started planting things in our yard--a butterfly garden, an herb garden, a favorite shrub I found. I would read gardening books, watch HGTV, and doodle garden designs for yard of my own I would one day have. So when it was time to go to college, choosing a major was easy. I studied horticulture. My dream job was executive director of a public garden, so I went on to get a Masters degree in Public Horticulture.

Life is funny. I moved to Middle Georgia to be with my husband, and the nearest public garden is at least an hour away. By a strange combination of events, I ended up becoming the executive director of a nonprofit organization in Macon that does art, music, and business--no gardening. But after living in apartments and dorm rooms for the last 12 years, I finally have my own little plot of land on Boulevard. This blog is my gardening journal. Feel free to join me on the journey.

2 comments:

  1. I love it. Thank you for sharing your garden journey with us, Melissa. I'm not a gardener myself, but I will never forget the wrought iron plaque in my grandmother's garden that said:
    "The kiss of the sun for pardon,
    The song of the birds for mirth,
    One is nearer God's heart in a garden
    Than anywhere else on earth."
    I now know it is part of a poem called "God's Garden," penned by British poet Dorothy Gurney, 1858-1932. I may not garden. But I definitely get it. Happy sowing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live on Boulevard too! This is a lovely home. So happy that someone will be taking good care of it! Welcome to the neighborhood and to blogland!

    ReplyDelete